Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Any good book suggestions?

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

My Mum is partially sighted and listens to audio books sent to her by RNIB and they really suck at sending books out. If you mention an author to them, they'll send you fifty of their books in a row and really their selections are crap and they hardly have any of the books Mum wants....I know they're mostly trying their best, although some of them clearly aren't...SO I now download books for her from the net......and I really need more books and authors for her.....

Can anyone help me out by suggesting good thriller/crime/police procedural/other books I could get for her?

She likes James Patterson, Lee Child, Michael Connelly, that kind of thing.....The thing about audio books as well is that sometime the reader is so bad that you just can't bear to listen to the bloody book! One reader in particular read books (mainly Kathy Reichs - pathology stuff) as though she were reading for small children....with daft cartoon voices! It was awful....But never mind that......

I'd be most grateful for any names of good thriller writers.......

Posted on

The thriller writers that spring straight to mind for me are David Baldacci, Michael Crichton, Janet Evanovich. You could try this website "What Should I Read Next" could give you some ideas. You simply put in the books you have read and it throws out titles of other stuff recommended by people of similar tastes.

Posted on

ariane wrote:My Mum is partially sighted and listens to audio books sent to her by RNIB and they really suck at sending books out. If you mention an author to them, they'll send you fifty of their books in a row and really their selections are crap and they hardly have any of the books Mum wants....I know they're mostly trying their best, although some of them clearly aren't...SO I now download books for her from the net......and I really need more books and authors for her.....

Can anyone help me out by suggesting good thriller/crime/police procedural/other books I could get for her?

She likes James Patterson, Lee Child, Michael Connelly, that kind of thing.....The thing about audio books as well is that sometime the reader is so bad that you just can't bear to listen to the bloody book! One reader in particular read books (mainly Kathy Reichs - pathology stuff) as though she were reading for small children....with daft cartoon voices! It was awful....But never mind that......

Ari I really recommend Peter Robinson :thumb: His *Inspector Banks* books are great. I read one of them then couldnt get enough and have more or less read all of them, I still have one to read and I am itching to read it but will save it. :hmmm: Dont know why.... :)

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Most of Agatha Christie's books are available on audio - I know because my mum now has most of them on audio (even though she read them all before).

I would suggest a few James Herbert ones but they might end in nightmares!!

We're about as similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod.
- Blackadder

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

sprenger wrote:Most of Agatha Christie's books are available on audio - I know because my mum now has most of them on audio (even though she read them all before).

I adore JH but as you say Spengs Nightmares is a definate. :eek:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

His latest are very traditional Ghost Stories with a more modern style, but to me JH will always be the Rats Trilogy (especially Domain)

- Blackadder

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

I quite like Jeffery Deaver - The devils teardrop springs to mind, with the number of plot twists, it kept me guessing, and I couldn't put the book down. Don't know if its available on audio though.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: recovering

Posted on

Dolls wrote:
ariane wrote:My Mum is partially sighted and listens to audio books sent to her by RNIB and they really suck at sending books out. If you mention an author to them, they'll send you fifty of their books in a row and really their selections are crap and they hardly have any of the books Mum wants....I know they're mostly trying their best, although some of them clearly aren't...SO I now download books for her from the net......and I really need more books and authors for her.....

Ari I really recommend Peter Robinson :thumb: His *Inspector Banks* books are great. I read one of them then couldnt get enough and have more or less read all of them, I still have one to read and I am itching to read it but will save it. :hmmm: Dont know why.... :)

Ari They may have a few. :thumb:
http://www.play.com/Books/AudioBooks/4- ... dpr=136626

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

I'd be tempted by the Roth Trilogy by Andrew Taylor, The Four Last Things, The Judgement of Strangers and The Office Of the Dead, but I can only find them on cassette or very expensive MP3 download. The plus point is they are unabridged.

(There was an ITV series based on them recently, Requiem For An Angel (?), Fallen Angel(?))

Posted on

I enjoy Dean koontz's stuff,He can be a bit spooky at times,but he has written some gripping stuff. Try these ....

Strangers.

Lightning.

The Good Guy.

Highway Star
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Posted on

sprenger wrote:Most of Agatha Christie's books are available on audio - I know because my mum now has most of them on audio (even though she read them all before).

I forgot to mention that she likes blood and gore and doesn't scare easily!

Posted on

staroffurby wrote:The thriller writers that spring straight to mind for me are David Baldacci, Michael Crichton, Janet Evanovich. You could try this website "What Should I Read Next" could give you some ideas. You simply put in the books you have read and it throws out titles of other stuff recommended by people of similar tastes.

Oooohh...what an interesting site! Ta furbs! :thumb:

Posted on

Wow! Thanks guys.I knew I could depend on you to help me out! I remember a forum thread where people were discussing their favourite thriller writers and there were many names I hadn't heard of....but the trouble was the RNIB doesn't have them on disc.

I'm currently listening to a book called The Search by Iris Johansen which i think she might like, although it does get a bit Mills and Boony in places.....I've never read anything by her.

Great stuff....thanks again.

Posted on

John lee Pettimore wrote:I enjoy Dean koontz's stuff,He can be a bit spooky at times,but he has written some gripping stuff. Try these ....

Strangers.

Lightning.

The Good Guy.

I did not know that Koontz had a book called The Good Guy! Will go get it tomorrow.

I have read all his books apart from the Odd Thomas series of books. :thumb:

- Blackadder

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

ariane wrote:

Cool - get the Necroscope books by Brian Lumley (don't know if they are on audio though)

- Blackadder

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

I love thrillers and crime novels as well. Has your mum tried Martine Cole, Ive just bought her lastest book faces, also I find John Grisham, Ann Rule and Dan Brown very good. Hope this helps.

Posted on

I like the Dick Francis books, they are fun, horsey thrillers.

Sprenger - The Good Guy is a fab book, but the Odd Thomas ones I found got weaker with each book. Tick Tock was my fave by him, it's very light hearted.

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

ariane wrote:

Oh, in that case, David Peace's Red Riding Quartet (1974,1977,1980 and 1983) Based remotely on fact, lots of police coruption, ultra violence, and leading into the Yorkshire Ripper murders. :thumb:

Posted on

littlelawchick wrote:I love thrillers and crime novels as well. Has your mum tried Martine Cole, Ive just bought her lastest book faces, also I find John Grisham, Ann Rule and Dan Brown very good. Hope this helps.

I LOVE Ann Rule. I have all her books...and I think Mum would like them too, but they're very hard to get online free, ya know? Martine Cole I haven't thought of so I'll add her to my list. Thanks llc!

Posted on

i had a book called " mostly murder" by the great scottish pathologist sydney smith ...had the book twice lent it twice ..lost it twice ...really good read :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books