Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Crime Books (Detective Novels)

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Have been reading loads of these lately! Can anybody recommend a good author? Other than what we know know? IE.....Colin Dexter,Patricia Cornwall etcetc. Peter Robinson ! Have read all of his books and they are brill. :thumb:

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

David Peace, David Peace and David Peace. he's a bit like a psychotic James Ellroy on speed.

Posted on

Ian Rankin and R.D Wingfield, creator of 'A Touch of Frost' are both good. Actually, the Frost novels are great. :thumb:

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Martine Cole, John Grishman, Jack Higgins and Steve Berry.

Posted on

I like John Dickson Carr aka Carter Dickson. He's a bit of an oldie & may be a bit old-fashioned for you - wrote in the 30s to 50s I think, and his books aren't that easy to find, but most libraries should have his most famous one, which is The Hollow Man (also known as The Three Coffins). I picked up a few from Oxfam book shops and I've ordered others online from the USA. They're locked-room murder mysteries. Agatha Christie (who's work I particularly don't like btw) was a big fan and she reckoned she could solve all other writer's mysteries except JDC's. The ones I would recommend are

The Peacock Feather Murders
The Judas Window
The Plague Court Murders
The Case of the Constant Suicides
The Hollow Man/The Three Coffins

Bit more modern - Kinky Friedman writes good private detective stuff. The one I read is Elvis, Jesus & Coca Cola
Similar but older stuff - Erle Stanley Gardner is also great. I loved his one Crows Can't Count

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

i prefer real crime
the books i can recommend if any of you are into it and if still available
are forty years of murder by prof keith simpson,mostly murder by sydney smith ,murder squad ,and sir bernard spilsburys biography
fascinating stuff

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:i prefer real crime
are forty years of murder by prof keith simpson,mostly murder by sydney smith ,murder squad ,and sir bernard spilsburys biography
fascinating stuff

I read those a few years ago wots and yes they really good. :thumb:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

ThinBoy wrote:I like John Dickson Carr aka Carter Dickson. He's a bit of an oldie & may be a bit old-fashioned for you - wrote in the 30s to 50s I think, and his books aren't that easy to find, but most libraries should have his most famous one, which is The Hollow Man (also known as The Three Coffins). I picked up a few from Oxfam book shops and I've ordered others online from the USA. They're locked-room murder mysteries. Agatha Christie (who's work I particularly don't like btw) was a big fan and she reckoned she could solve all other writer's mysteries except JDC's. The ones I would recommend are

The Peacock Feather Murders
The Judas Window
The Plague Court Murders
The Case of the Constant Suicides
The Hollow Man/The Three Coffins

Bit more modern - Kinky Friedman writes good private detective stuff. The one I read is Elvis, Jesus & Coca Cola
Similar but older stuff - Erle Stanley Gardner is also great. I loved his one Crows Can't Count

:chin: :chin: Sounds very interesting...... :chin: Cheers TB

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Dolls wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:i prefer real crime
fascinating stuff

I read those a few years ago wots and yes they really good. :thumb:

i used to read them over and over dolls ,keith simpson was my hero from his auto biography writings "acid bath" haigh
harry dobkin etc
keith simpson still gets a mention on discovery in a series called crime museum UK with martin kemp :thumb:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Actually you could just go for James Ellroy, LA Confidential and The Black Dahlia have both been made into films, but both the books are much darker and involved.

Posted on

Reginald Hill

On a roll!
Current Mood: chipper

Posted on

Never found them interesting, but that was because my English teacher told the class that anyone can write a decent crime / murder / mystery story by working methodically backwards from the solution. What made a good story great was nothing more than a bit of character manipulation in an unsolvable crime, leaving the reader looking forward to a sequel.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:Never found them interesting, but that was because my English teacher told the class that anyone can write a decent crime / murder / mystery story by working methodically backwards from the solution. What made a good story great was nothing more than a bit of character manipulation in an unsolvable crime, leaving the reader looking forward to a sequel.

i think that comment from your english teacher is a bit elitist and leaning towards literary snobbery.

case in point is iris murdoch. her first published book--under the net--was actually quite funny but bore very little resemblance to her subsequent works.
under the net couldn't be described as a crime story but it does involve a kidnap and ransom--of a dog called mr.mars.

just scuppered my own argument :doh:

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

robinnia wrote:
Channel Hopper wrote:Never found them interesting, but that was because my English teacher told the class that anyone can write a decent crime / murder / mystery story by working methodically backwards from the solution. What made a good story great was nothing more than a bit of character manipulation in an unsolvable crime, leaving the reader looking forward to a sequel.

i think that comment from your english teacher is a bit elitist and leaning towards literary snobbery.

Also shows a complete lack of appreciation of style and quality of writing.

Posted on

Bowker's cat wrote:Also shows a complete lack of appreciation of style and quality of writing.

It was directed at the mass of rollout detective stories at the time (some 30 years ago) most of which were the American 'whodunnits'.

Mickey Spillane springs to mind, but then having seen a few of the Columbo episodes on TV, and the ever present on BBC 'Diagnosis Murder' I can see there was some method in his madness.

Series that have bypassed the 'work backwards from the butler did it' would be Monk, Quincy MD and Sledge Hammer, the last of which would probably not worked well as a set of paperbacks owing to the skill of David Rasche, who neatly sent up Dirty Harry in the 41 TV episodes.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Bowker's cat wrote:David Peace, David Peace and David Peace. he's a bit like a psychotic James Ellroy on speed.

Yes, yes and yes again! I loved him. Only read a couple of his books but really enjoyed them!
Maybe I should order online another one of his books... :chin:

noobywoobyscooby

Posted on

danahowards wrote:
Bowker's cat wrote:David Peace, David Peace and David Peace. he's a bit like a psychotic James Ellroy on speed.

Yes, yes and yes again! I loved him. Only read a couple of his books but really enjoyed them!
Maybe I should order online another one of his books... :chin:

Always liked GB84 especially. Even more tragic if you read Seamus Milne's 'The Enemy Within' immediately after to identify the parallels.

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

Smegster
Current Mood: Puckish

Posted on

Mark Billingham is my favorite by miles. I love his Thorne series.

noobywooby
Current Mood: Stealth, stealth, POUNCE!

Posted on

Hobbes wrote:Mark Billingham is my favorite by miles. I love his Thorne series.

Me too :thumb: love Peter James!!!

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

I also like Peter Robinson!!!

Forum Slapper Lush

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books