Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

The greatest sitcom of all time

ha ha ha ha ha!!!! All shows funny of course!! ha ha ha ha!!!
Forum rules
No Laughing!! ------------------------------------- only joking :)

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

diablo wrote:Porridge, Open All Hours and Dad's Army are probably my top three. Though there seemed to be a whole heap of good sit-coms in those days. :):

Most of Dad's Army episodes at Smeggy's

http://www.smeggys.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=60

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

diablo wrote:Porridge, Open All Hours and Dad's Army are probably my top three. Though there seemed to be a whole heap of good sit-coms in those days. :):

Most of Dad's Army episodes at Smeggy's

http://www.smeggys.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=60

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I can see you are a great fan of that comic genius Gerald Wiley, aka Ronnie Barker. He was probably the greatest comedy script writer of all time. And his fast-moving monologues in the Two Ronnies were incredible!

Posted on

Jessica Rabbit wrote:I can see you are a great fan of that comic genius Gerald Wiley, aka Ronnie Barker. He was probably the greatest comedy script writer of all time. And his fast-moving monologues in the Two Ronnies were incredible!

i agree JR some were very near the knuckle for their time as well
i posted one of his monologues in the joke forum ...sheer genius

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Oh dear. I can see that people are starting to call me JR. I do hope they won't confuse me with this rather devious gentleman. Because I do assure you we are nothing alike!

Posted on

My brother liked 'The Good Life' although I think it was down to Felicity Kendall been in it.

Me? Blackadder 2 & 3, Ab Fab, Young ones, Bottom, Married with Children......does Family Guy count?

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

not a fawlty towers fan. i find john cleese too frenetic for me--i just want to punch him.

porridge--i liked. excellent writing and good acting.

to be honest i'm not that keen on the sitcom format beacause i feel that everything is too contrived and i know what the punchline(s) will be.

i sound like a right miserable old trout. it's just i'm not keen on sitcoms. neither do i like romcoms--utter pap.

if truth be told i am that miserable old trout who would rather read books. PAH! :( :( :( :( :(

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

robinnia wrote:not a fawlty towers fan. i find john cleese too frenetic for me--i just want to punch him.

to be honest i'm not that keen on the sitcom format beacause i feel that everything is too contrived and i know what the punchline(s) will be.

i sound like a right miserable old trout. it's just i'm not keen on sitcoms. neither do i like romcoms--utter pap.

if truth be told i am that miserable old trout who would rather read books. PAH! :( :( :( :( :(

Without wishing to go too OT I also hate romcoms. The Hugh Grant/Bridget Jones stuff I find nauseous and formulaic crap corporately designed to appeal to as many woman as possible in order to extract as much cash out of them as possible.

The Bridget Jones Dairy plot sums it up:

Bridget Jones is frustrated; in her early thirties, still single, and worried about her weight.

"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
robinnia wrote:not a fawlty towers fan. i find john cleese too frenetic for me--i just want to punch him.

Without wishing to go too OT I also hate romcoms. The Hugh Grant/Bridget Jones stuff I find nauseous and formulaic crap corporately designed to appeal to as many woman as possible in order to extract as much cash out of them as possible.

The Bridget Jones Dairy plot sums it up:

Bridget Jones is frustrated; in her early thirties, still single, and worried about her weight.

"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"
"Oh that's me!"

too true smeggypants.

i cannot believe that this type of dross is appealing to anyone but it must or else these films wouldn't still be made.

i can honestly say that i have never seen "bridget jones' diary" although i have had the misfortune to see bits and pieces of it--just not my cup of tea. your summary of the plot is spot on---and they can make a whole film from this! and a sequel!
bah humbug!
as i have the attention span of a goldfish i cannot be arsed to waste my time watching such pap , i would rather read a book.
a saving grace of sitcoms is that they are of short duration and don't need any thought from the viewer. perhaps that is thier appeal.

i really have gone into trout mode on this one.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

I found the whole Bridget Jones thing to be boring, but it's not really a sitcom but a comedy film( allegedly). As for decent sitcoms, anyone enjoy Birds of a Feather which ran for nine series and featured the interesting friendship of two women living off the profits of their husbands' bank raids next door to a snobbish, sex obsessed middle aged Jewess? The first few series were hilarious.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Glenn A wrote:I found the whole Bridget Jones thing to be boring, but it's not really a sitcom but a comedy film( allegedly).

Yeah sorry for going OT, couldn't help a rant against the Bridget Jones culture. :)

As for decent sitcoms, anyone enjoy Birds of a Feather which ran for nine series and featured the interesting friendship of two women living off the profits of their husbands' bank raids next door to a snobbish, sex obsessed middle aged Jewess? The first few series were hilarious.

Yeah I really enjoyed Birds of a Feather did get too predictable after a while though. Lesley Joseph's gagging for it character in particular!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Favourites of mine would have to include Steptoe and Son, On The Buses, Please Sir, Nearest and Dearest,The Likely Lads/Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads and a couple of American classics which to my knowledge were never shown in the UK but are now available to enjoy on region 1 DVD(so you need a multi region player to play them!),Leave It To Beaver and The Donna Reed Show.Other American comedies I have enjoyed over the years would include Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligans Island, Maude,All In the Family, Barney Miller, Golden Girls, Married With Children ,Family Ties and Spin City.

On three rolls!!

Posted on

I'm sitting on the fence on this . I'd have to see a list of every sitcom of the last 40 years to decide on it. However I think it's going to be a British comedy as I don't like the US comedy as much.

:chin: :)

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Like Ted Rogers but funny

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Glenn A wrote:I found the whole Bridget Jones thing to be boring, but it's not really a sitcom but a comedy film( allegedly).

Yeah sorry for going OT, couldn't help a rant against the Bridget Jones culture. :)

As for decent sitcoms, anyone enjoy Birds of a Feather which ran for nine series and featured the interesting friendship of two women living off the profits of their husbands' bank raids next door to a snobbish, sex obsessed middle aged Jewess? The first few series were hilarious.

Yeah I really enjoyed Birds of a Feather did get too predictable after a while though. Lesley Joseph's gagging for it character in particular!

I used to have fantasies about being seduced by her in her black stockings( she never wore tights) and being tied to her bed. Such is life when your hormones are racing.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Is there a thread for the worse Sitcom of all time?

I accidentally witndessed My Family tonight. it was fucking awful. Crap on all levels!!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Previous

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Comedy