Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

1969 - Monty Python Nearly Didn't Happen!!

ha ha ha ha ha!!!! All shows funny of course!! ha ha ha ha!!!
Forum rules
No Laughing!! ------------------------------------- only joking :)

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

1969 - Monty Python Nearly Didn't Happen!!

It'sssss!!
It has become a classic in the pantheon of British comedy. But Monty Python's Flying Circus was almost axed after one episode.

Audience ratings for the first show were so low that BBC chiefs considered pulling the plug.

They were also upset by sketches that were in appalling taste. Stephen Heast, head of arts features, lambasted the Pythons for being nihilistic and cruel.

The first show, broadcast on October 5, 1969, attracted just 3% of the TV audience, while 22% tuned in to Dad's Army.

The audience reactive index, judged by a panel of BBC experts, was also the lowest for a light entertainment programme that week. And as the series progressed BBC1 controller Paul Fox accused the comedians of going over the edge of what was acceptable.

Read full article

Liston Tosh! The only reason that parrot was sitting on it's perch in
the first place was becuase it had been nailed there!!

Eric Idle
Graham Chapman(RIP), Michael Palin, John Cleese, Terry Jones, and Terry Gilliam

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

that would have been no great loss if you ask me.
never got monty python at all.--it just wasn't funny to me.
neither have i seen any monty python film all the way through as i thought they were so unfunny that i couldn't be arsed to sit through them.

perhaps that is just my bad luck.

i did like michael palin's ripping yarns though.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

robinnia wrote:that would have been no great loss if you ask me.
neither have i seen any monty python film all the way through as i thought they were so unfunny that i couldn't be arsed to sit through them.

Ripping Yarns was brilliant!! Overshadowed by shows like Fawlty Towers and should have got more recognition.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Senior moment now Smeggy but the Pythons especially JC was born of the *Last of the 1948 show* (Hence me senior moment of the title) that was hilarious.

I Dont want to keep looking things up on google which I could have :hmmm: If me memory serves me well then Ok if I'm wrong then fuck it. :pp:

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

I watched the original Python series at the time - though I don't know why as the humourous bits were few and far between. Okay, I do know why - it was fashionable in 1969.

Some of my friends liked it though and even bought LPs of the soundtracks, how weird is that? :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:

I watched the original Python series at the time - though I don't know why as the humourous bits were few and far between. Okay, I do know why - it was fashionable in 1969.

Some of my friends liked it though and even bought LPs of the soundtracks, how weird is that? :)

you have hit the nail right on the head there diablo.
the humour was a bit erratic at the very least. i detect the rose coloured specs of nostalgia at work here too.

it seems that calling mp unfunny is nigh on blasphemous and i wondered if this was a case for :coat:

Grumpy Old Cow

Posted on

its funny isn't it ....I remember being thrilled at MP when it was on the telly ....see I never liked comedy on the telly at the time On the Buses made me want to puke ....creepy old men looking up girls skirts , or the typical racist shows hidden behind humour never made me laugh ...so I guess when this fresh brand of craziness was shown ...I just got it and loved it .

Posted on

robinnia wrote:
diablo wrote:

the humour was a bit erratic at the very least. i detect the rose coloured specs of nostalgia at work here too.

Not for me. We're all different and like different things. if you never liked Python then there's nothing wrong in that, I knew loads of people who didn't like Python back in the day. But I cant see why you would think those of us who do love python didn't really love it and wre just suffering from nostalgia. Everytime I see re0runs of both the films and the series I Live them and invariable piss my self laughing at much of it.

it seems that calling mp unfunny is nigh on blasphemous and i wondered if this was a case for :coat:

Not at all. Python was hugely popular but not everyone liked it. That's fine. If you look at the polar opposite to Python, the american show 'Friends' then that was hugely popular. I can see nothing funny in Friends whatsoever. I find it a horrendous formulaic cookie cutter show starring six politically correct douchebags who only haev to walk into teh room and say hello and the canned laugher blows your TV speakers up. Horrendous stuff, but millions of people love it.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

diablo wrote:

I had some neighbours who were like that , every other conversation referenced a Python sketch and that went on for 10 years until they switched to Not the Nine o' Clock News. Thankfully I moved before Blackadder started. :)

I loved Python as a child but I grew out of them , the last poor series helped too. I think the aura and the hype grew to be too much and I didn't want to know or care what the team did after.

They certainly influenced my humour a lot.

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Like Ted Rogers but funny

Posted on

krissipandemic wrote:
diablo wrote:

I had some neighbours who were like that , every other conversation referenced a Python sketch and that went on for 10 years until they switched to Not the Nine o' Clock News. Thankfully I moved before Blackadder started. :)

I loved Python as a child but I grew out of them , the last poor series helped too. I think the aura and the hype grew to be too much and I didn't want to know or care what the team did after.

Aww you'er missing out on so much good stuff.

There's the obvious classic python films - Holy Grail - Life of Brian - Meaning of Life

Other films like Clockwise, A Fish called Wanda, Time bandits, Erik The viking, Jabberwocky

Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns.

Palin's superb travel documentaries, Around the world in 80 days, Pole to Pole, Sahara, Himalayas, Full Circle,

Terry Jones' great history documentaries. The barbarians, Medieval Lives, The Hidden History of Egypt, The Hidden History of Rome, The Secret History of Sex & Love

Twelve Monkeys, Brazil, The Brothers Grimm more films by Terry Gilliam

That's just off the top of my head. They've done so much more,

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
krissipandemic wrote:
diablo wrote:

Aww you'er missing out on so much good stuff.

There's the obvious classic python films - Holy Grail - Life of Brian - Meaning of Life

Other films like Clockwise, A Fish called Wanda, Time bandits, Erik The viking, Jabberwocky

Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns.

Palin's superb travel documentaries, Around the world in 80 days, Pole to Pole, Sahara, Himalayas, Full Circle,

Terry Jones' great history documentaries. The barbarians, Medieval Lives, The Hidden History of Egypt, The Hidden History of Rome, The Secret History of Sex & Love

Twelve Monkeys, Brazil, The Brothers Grimm more films by Terry Gilliam

That's just off the top of my head. They've done so much more,

I saw most of the Palin travel shows , I kept getting his books as xmas presents too.
That was a bit away from the MP brand and I enjoyed his works and appreciated the effort he made to produce them.

Brazil is a great film, one of gilliams best if not the best. :thumb:

Can't say I warm to any of the others films now .

I'm not knocking the MP team or the fans but I moved gradually away from their style as I left my youth behind. If that sounds patronising I don't mean to.

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Like Ted Rogers but funny

Posted on

krissipandemic wrote:

I'm not knocking the MP team or the fans but I moved gradually away from their style as I left my youth behind. If that sounds patronising I don't mean to.

Nah not at all. We all enjoy different things at different times of our lives. :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

A challenge to non python fans.

watch these two and not laugh...

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Life of Brian wasn't Python though - you can tell the difference because it was actually funny. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
robinnia wrote:
diablo wrote:

Not for me. We're all different and like different things. if you never liked Python then there's nothing wrong in that, I knew loads of people who didn't like Python back in the day. But I cant see why you would think those of us who do love python didn't really love it and wre just suffering from nostalgia. Everytime I see re0runs of both the films and the series I Live them and invariable piss my self laughing at much of it.

Not at all. Python was hugely popular but not everyone liked it. That's fine. If you look at the polar opposite to Python, the american show 'Friends' then that was hugely popular. I can see nothing funny in Friends whatsoever. I find it a horrendous formulaic cookie cutter show starring six politically correct douchebags who only haev to walk into teh room and say hello and the canned laugher blows your TV speakers up. Horrendous stuff, but millions of people love it.

i am not suggesting that the rose colour specs of nostalgia meant that you didn't actually like mp. for me, it is just that nostalgia works by slighty altering the reality of things past to put a rosy glow on things. it's the wagonwheel phenomena--you remember them as being enormous whereas they were not.
anyway you cannot suffer from nostalgia, it is a pleasant state of remembrance.

friends-total shite--never found that funny.

both mp and friends were creations of their time.

the problem with stuff like mp is that you either find it funny or it leaves you completely cold. for me it's the latter.

perhaps i've had a sense of humour bypass for this particular comedy and it's derivatives.

Grumpy Old Cow

Return to Comedy