Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Frankie Boyle in hot water over Downs Syndrome jokes

ha ha ha ha ha!!!! All shows funny of course!! ha ha ha ha!!!
Forum rules
No Laughing!! ------------------------------------- only joking :)

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I think Frankie Boyle is often very funny :D But are there some things you can't joke about? This doesnt seem very funny to me:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8611514.stm

I can see why the lady was upset, the joke seems in poor taste TBH (I want to hear it to get the full context though), but what I don't get is she went to the gig, she said she was a fan. What did she expect? I mean, I doubt he was telling knock knock jokes for the rest of his act. ;)
If a topic affects you and you don't find it funny, don't laugh and move on. Does that mean the topic is taboo?
I can see why it would be seen as offensive though.

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know
I'll never find another you
- The Seekers

"Life is what happens to you when you're away making other plans" - John Lennon

"Names Gene Hunt, your DCI and its 1973. Almost dinner time. I'm havin' hoops!"

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: What a shitload of fuck

Posted on

I think anything can be joked about. I love poor taste jokes even though I find some of the subjects abhorrent.

Shouldn't have to the gig!!

I'm offended by religion. I don't call for it to be banned

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

there are plenty of KNOB Heads to take the piss out of ...who are what they are because of their choices ...and we are willing to laugh along ......this subject is not one of them .....he was out of order ...
but she went knowing his caustic humour as well ...its a non issue really ...just another head turning lets get mad at someone headline ......he is smarter and should know better than this really ...and so should she ...it was not personal

Posted on

In a way I agree - reading her account I think Boyle was out of order and the joke wasnt funny, but if she was so offended why go to the gig? She was happy to laugh at other things that some people may have even found offensive or upsetting, just like she did. You can't have it both ways!

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

No matter what I do
For I know
- The Seekers

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

grimtales1 wrote:In a way I agree - reading her account I think Boyle was out of order and the joke wasnt funny, but if she was so offended why go to the gig? She was happy to laugh at other things that some people may have even found offensive or upsetting, just like she did. You can't have it both ways!

yup he took the piss out of loads of groups ......thats what he does ......and she admitted it ...its not my type of humour but she paid to go ....I prefer personal observational humour ...random more than a group attack ...it can get cheap ....I still remember Bernard Manning ... :throwup:

Posted on

I enjoy Frankie's humour, he can be funny IMO but also Michael McIntyre, Dara O Briain, Jack Dee, Bill Bailey, Stewart Francis etc. I think theres room for all types of comedy :D

No matter what I do
For I know
- The Seekers

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
grimtales1 wrote:In a way I agree - reading her account I think Boyle was out of order and the joke wasnt funny, but if she was so offended why go to the gig? She was happy to laugh at other things that some people may have even found offensive or upsetting, just like she did. You can't have it both ways!

yup he took the piss out of loads of groups ......thats what he does ......and she admitted it ...its not my type of humour but she paid to go ....I prefer personal observational humour ...random more than a group attack ...it can get cheap ....I still remember Bernard Manning ... :throwup:

Bernard manning was a complete and utter cunt.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I agree. Just not funny, waste of space :mad:

No matter what I do
For I know
- The Seekers

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

fuckers in this country just want to be offended.His show on TV the other night observed "Jamie Oliver..hasn't he done well for someone with low level down syndrome" now thats funny.He also observed "shannon matthews....why is that the ugly ones are found alive?"

but i bet some prick was just waiting by the phone to be offended.This woman knew only too well Boyles humour and i'm sure laughed out loud at everything else.Maybe her son wore flares and he just hit close to home

Oderint Dum Metuant
WAR DOESN'T DECIDE WHO'S RIGHT ...ONLY WHO IS LEFT

Getting into it now!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: TICKETY FUCKING BOO go ra mhaith agat

Posted on

I agree with you on this one Sorely. Anyone who's anyone will realise what Frankie's brand of humour is like. If one goes to a Bernard Manning gig, one would expect him to tell racist jokes. Being offensive is Frankie's shtick.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:I agree with you on this one Sorely. Anyone who's anyone will realise what Frankie's brand of humour is like. If one goes to a Bernard Manning gig, one would expect him to tell racist jokes. Being offensive is Frankie's shtick.

I think he is on the box tonight .....Frankie not Bernard :D

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:I agree with you on this one Sorely. Anyone who's anyone will realise what Frankie's brand of humour is like. If one goes to a Bernard Manning gig, one would expect him to tell racist jokes. Being offensive is Frankie's shtick.

Yeah that's a fair part of his act from what I've seen tonight. Reminds me of Billy Connolly ( when he was funny ) because of the crude and rude jokes plus the shock value of some of his material. Some of the gags were fairly clean too. I had a good laugh at most of his show when I thought I wouldn't enjoy it.

Really Hooked!
Current Mood: Like Ted Rogers but funny

Posted on

krissipandemic wrote:

Yeah that's a fair part of his act from what I've seen tonight. Reminds me of Billy Connolly ( when he was funny ) because of the crude and rude jokes plus the shock value of some of his material. Some of the gags were fairly clean too. I had a good laugh at most of his show when I thought I wouldn't enjoy it.

For some reason I was never all that fond of Billy Connolly, I can understand why Scottish comedians do Scottish jokes as their shtick, but Billy I always found to be a tad too dry for my own liking.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

annie27 wrote:

I think he is on the box tonight .....Frankie not Bernard :D

Saw a bit of it with BF, I couldn't find one funny thing about him. Even his swearing seemed put on and "false". Absolute crap.

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:
krissipandemic wrote:

For some reason I was never all that fond of Billy Connolly, I can understand why Scottish comedians do Scottish jokes as their shtick, but Billy I always found to be a tad too dry for my own liking.

It's going back a long old while to when I would watch BC doing stand up. Recently all I've seen him in is travelogue shows where he hasn't had to try too hard and let the humour arise from the people he met.

I think Boyle's potential problems were evident as I watched his show last night. Where else could he go with his material next , only to push on further and risk becoming too offensive and not getting the laughs.

Really Hooked!
Current Mood: Like Ted Rogers but funny

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Comedy