Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

The best sitcom of all time

ha ha ha ha ha!!!! All shows funny of course!! ha ha ha ha!!!
Forum rules
No Laughing!! ------------------------------------- only joking :)

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I would give a joint prize to Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, Porridge, Fawlty Towers and Open All Hours as there wasn't a single bad episode( all were equally hilarious), the acting was fantastic, the humour hasn't dated as the situations are familiar( class, prison, awful hotel, miserable shopkeeper), and the fact they're still watchable now.
Ronnie Barker's name crops up twice on my list as I think he was the greatest comic actor of the last century, being able to switch between a cockney prisoner and a Northern shopkeeper with ease, and was one half of the legendary Two Ronnies.

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

Red Dwarf
Bottom

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

Impossible, each one that I recall (and continued to watch) was down to one or two outstanding episodes. Brass Eye has no real equal though

The most consistent however would be Fawlty Towers (Flowery Twat ?), followed very closely by Coupling - Series 1-3 (the UK version). Lead Balloon was excellent, as was Peep Show. Gimme, Gimme, Gimme was a hoot.

Then there's Alas Smith and Jones and Big Train but they probably count as sketch shows.

Others - Steptoe and Son, It Aint Half Hot Mum and The League of Gentlemen.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Fawlty Towers !!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Keeping up appearances.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Rising Damp had its moments. A lot of the above were great shows. Blackadder. Dad's Army. Yes Minister (and Prime Minister). Father Ted. Absolutely Fabulous. The Young Ones. Phoenix Nights. Alan Partridge (esp the Xmas special). Rab C Nesbitt. :splif:

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

Also worthy of a mention is The New Statesman, which seemed so much of its time and was hilarious, especially as Bstard always came a cropper.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

I think that Fawlty Towers has to be the number 1 but there has been some great ones mentioned in this thread also. I loved the Young Ones and Bottom, Blackadder, Only Fools, Open all hours, New Statesman, Father Ted... Brilliant!

I think out of all the 'new' sitcoms.. Mrs Browns Boys has to be up there. The problem with sitcoms is that to be funny, the 'situation' has to be original but familiar and is why there has been hundreds of forgettable sitcoms over the years.

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Posted on

Mr Squirrel wrote:I think that Fawlty Towers has to be the number 1 but there has been some great ones mentioned in this thread also. I loved the Young Ones and Bottom, Blackadder, Only Fools, Open all hours, New Statesman, Father Ted... Brilliant!

I think out of all the 'new' sitcoms.. Mrs Browns Boys has to be up there. The problem with sitcoms is that to be funny, the 'situation' has to be original but familiar and is why there has been hundreds of forgettable sitcoms over the years.

Yes Squizz perhaps the 'worse ones' :thumb:

Yes has to be faulty twits :thumb: only 12 episodes . Great

:maddy: Image

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Mr Squirrel wrote:I think that Fawlty Towers has to be the number 1 but there has been some great ones mentioned in this thread also. I loved the Young Ones and Bottom, Blackadder, Only Fools, Open all hours, New Statesman, Father Ted... Brilliant!

Some fink gone wrong here :confused: :confused: :confused:

:maddy: Image

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Mrs Browns Boys is right up there as it's a timeless comedy about a large family.
Sitcoms that have dated badly are ones like Dads Army, where only the oldest people now will remember the Home Guard, and the middle class suburban ones, which come across as rather twee and quaint.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Glenn A wrote:Mrs Browns Boys is right up there as it's a timeless comedy about a large family.
Sitcoms that have dated badly are ones like Dads Army, where only the oldest people now will remember the Home Guard, and the middle class suburban ones, which come across as rather twee and quaint.

Can't stand 'em. Regardless of age. As time goes by ( which Miss Smeggy loves ) is shit. And that godawdul afterbirth called My Family. They aren't quite as bad as the truly sickbucket american one called Friends, but are coming close.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

and the middle class suburban ones, which come across as rather twee and quaint.

How could I have forgotten The Good Life ?

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Now there's an exception. Felicity Kendal :hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Fawlty Towers. :shrug:
Maybe I just don't get it.

All the ones I love have already been said.
Such as League of Gentlemen, Red Dwarf, Porridge, Phoenix Night's, Only Fools (bit overplayed now) etc.

One US sitcom I liked was Seinfeld. Larry David thought up some cringing moments on that show, even more so (I hear) On Curb Your Enthusiasm. Not to everyone's taste though.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:Fawlty Towers. :shrug:

I thought it was okay when first shown, had a few comic lines, but the slapstick element was always predictable and annoying. So I cannot bear to watch it a second time. Similar to 'Some mothers do have em'.

Lots of comedies have some good moments or even good full episodes but I'd stick with Open all Hours, Porridge and The Good Life.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

The laughter really puts me off. They bloody laugh at anything. At least it's not like america where they even cheer for someone walking through a door.
That's why The Office and Phoenix Nights were a breath of fresh air. The Office was a bit of an acquired taste but the Christmas Special capped it off and made the sometimes torturous episodes worth it.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

diablo wrote:

I thought it was okay when first shown, had a few comic lines, but the slapstick element was always predictable and annoying. So I cannot bear to watch it a second time. Similar to 'Some mothers do have em'.

Lots of comedies have some good moments or even good full episodes but I'd stick with Open all Hours, Porridge and The Good Life.

Love some mothers do have 'em. I could watch it every day. Whenever they put it on Gold I watch.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

All the ones I love have already been said.
Such as League of Gentlemen, Red Dwarf, Porridge, Phoenix Night's, Only Fools (bit overplayed now) etc.

One US sitcom I liked was Seinfeld. Larry David thought up some cringing moments on that show, even more so (I hear) On Curb Your Enthusiasm. Not to everyone's taste though.

'The Germans' episode is one of the funniest bits of TV ever imo

:howl: :howl:

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Fawlty Towers was a masterpiece I have to admit, quite possibly the best sitcom ever made and Blackadder is simply superb!

I wasn't a big fan of Ronnie Barker sitcoms, I just don't think I got the humour at the time, the same with Rising Damp and other 70s and 80s stuff including OFAH!

I think that the 90s and 00s and the fall out of the alternative comedy scene probably provided the most memorable comedies for me! Men behaving Badly, Coupling (I love Jeff 'Cleft'), Friends (lets face it, the writing was inspired!), The Royle Family, The Office, Two Pints of Lager, Black Books and the League of Gentlemen to name just a few!

Loves The place!
Current Mood: Tetchy!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Comedy