Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Soaps: More demonisation of Alcohol

A fly on the wall observing the fictional escapes of the soap world.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Soaps:More demonisation of Alcohol

For fuck's sake let's have a drink!
The UK's top soaps have been forced to defend their depiction of alcohol following fresh criticism from campaign groups.

Coronation Street, EastEnders, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks have been accused of sending out harmful messages to youngsters by airing drinking scenes too frequently.

An investigation carried out by The Mirror newspaper found that the pre-watershed soaps are the "worst offenders" for showing characters consuming alcohol.

ITV1's Emmerdale contained 21 booze scenes in a one-week period. Coronation Street and BBC One's EastEnders both had 16, while Channel 4's Hollyoaks featured 11.

Alcohol Concern's Don Shenker has described the results as "shocking", adding: "Children learn to familiarise themselves with alcohol as another commodity, like bread or milk, rather than a potentially harmful substance.

"Alcohol on film and television often leaves out the possible harm it can cause - binge-drinking may be glamorised and humourised.

"If young people in particular see their favourite characters and role models drinking heavily, we need to think about what kind of message that puts across."

A spokesman for the BBC insisted that the corporation is "always careful to show the consumption of alcohol in context".

He added: "EastEnders is mindful of its family audience and is careful to portray responsible drinking. As with most continuing dramas, it features a pub."

Meanwhile, ITV and Channel 4 maintained that their programmes comply with the regulations set forth by broadcasting watchdog Ofcom.

It is not the first time that soaps have been criticised for their portrayal of alcohol. Last year, a study found that a third of Emmerdale's characters would be classed as "depressed drinkers" in real life.

---------------------------------------------------

Going out for a drink and meeting up with regulars is a great boost to the soul. Fuck the moral do gooders!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

fuck em.

wont stop me drinking!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Alcoholic
Current Mood: Giblet Botherer

Posted on

Oh Piss off!

Can you imagine 'Corrie', without the 'Rovers Return', or 'Shameless' without 'The Jockey'?

Stop pointing the finger at the failures and pleasures of your honest working men and women and start pointing the finger at the vile, bigoted, money squandering, evil lipsmackinmevergatathirstquenchin Politicians and Civil Servants, who are destroying this country, without a clue who is yanking their chains.

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

Do they still have a corner shop in Corrie? I'd imagine they do.

Imagine being a soap scriptwriter and having nowhere for the characters to meet up? Not an easy job. I suppose they could have a coffee shop - but would that be credible? The Mission Hall went long ago, is Florrie Lyndley (sp) still running the corner shop? ;) Swindley running the milliners?

Corrie used to revolve around the Rovers from the earliest days - Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell (used to live near me in B'pooll) and Martha Longhurst drinking milk stouts in the snug. That brassy redhead serving behind the bar (err Elsie Tanner?).

Actually the Rovers Return would probably have closed by now and been converted to a Tesco Express.

Maybe they should be shown drinking milk all the time. ;)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:Do they still have a corner shop in Corrie? I'd imagine they do.

Imagine being a soap scriptwriter and having nowhere for the characters to meet up? Not an easy job. I suppose they could have a coffee shop - but would that be credible? The Mission Hall went long ago, is Florrie Lyndley (sp) still running the corner shop? ;) Swindley running the milliners?

Corrie used to revolve around the Rovers from the earliest days - Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell (used to live near me in B'pooll) and Martha Longhurst drinking milk stouts in the snug. That brassy redhead serving behind the bar (err Elsie Tanner?).

Actually the Rovers Return would probably have closed by now and been converted to a Tesco Express.

There would be many who'd have the meeting place as a religious cult house, like a church or chapel and everyone would wear clothes that over the entire body

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

There would be many who'd have the meeting place as a religious cult house, like a church or chapel and everyone would wear clothes that over the entire body

you mean like this???

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Alcoholic
Current Mood: Giblet Botherer

Posted on

Lord Gumble wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

you mean like this???

that's a chavvy burkah.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

shes fit ..lol

12 cans of Stella
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

Tony Blair behind that mask I think - or maybe not. ;)

I noticed that a three year old thread had popped up on DS recently where I had commented about smoking in soaps.

Apparently they are still puffing away merrily according to later comments. I was surprised.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:Tony Blair behind that mask I think - or maybe not. ;)

nah, this is Blairs Mask. :)

http://geno.com.sapo.pt/TheZionistMonkey_net.jpg

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Soaps