Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Guiding Light

A fly on the wall observing the fictional escapes of the soap world.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

This holds the record for being the longest running soap, or drama of any description, starting on the radio in 1927 and transferring to television in 1952. After such a massive run, the programme, which is shown in daytime( soaps are only shown in daytime in America as they are seen as old people's shows), is to be axed due to falling ratings and a worn out format. Makes you wonder when, if ever, time will be called on Coronation St. I'll give it until 2040.

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

Glenn A wrote:This holds the record for being the longest running soap, or drama of any description, starting on the radio in 1927 and transferring to television in 1952. After such a massive run, the programme, which is shown in daytime( soaps are only shown in daytime in America as they are seen as old people's shows), is to be axed due to falling ratings and a worn out format. Makes you wonder when, if ever, time will be called on Coronation St. I'll give it until 2040.

It has been made by Proctor & Gamble for CBS (now called CBS/Paramount) as they make Soap.Washing Powder, thats how the term "soap opera" was coined

I don't care how you look at me
Because I'm the one that you will see
We can make it work
We can make it right
Just give me half a minute & I'll tell you why
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Glenn A wrote:This holds the record for being the longest running soap, or drama of any description, starting on the radio in 1927 and transferring to television in 1952. After such a massive run, the programme, which is shown in daytime( soaps are only shown in daytime in America as they are seen as old people's shows), is to be axed due to falling ratings and a worn out format. Makes you wonder when, if ever, time will be called on Coronation St. I'll give it until 2040.

Interesting question. It won't last forever. But then Corrie ( and other successful soaps like Emmerdale and Eastenders ) are a dynamic thing and as long as they reflect the times and are written well I can't see why they should not carry on. For most of us Corrie has always been there. it combines old favourties and regular new blood.

I've never heard of Guiding Light ( it sounds like some religious program ) but perhaps it's demise is it's failing to adapt with the times. Emmerdale, originally in the hideous Annie Sugden's farmhouse kitchen had to go through a major transformation some years ago and because of that has survived.

FWIW I actually got into the last version of Crossroads, but the show couldn't shake off it's bad reputation and never regained the ratings.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I watched Eldorado from start to finish twice, felt I had to come clean after all this time, the shame

Posted on

It all depends on whether an audience remains. Crossroads was cancelled in the eighties because it was unattractive to advertisers- most of its audience was elderly and/or poor- and ratings had slumped. Brookside got the heave ho because it had become too stupid and ratings had fallen to below 1 million. I have relatives in Australia who said most of their soaps were axed in the early nineties because ratings were falling and the awfulness of the acting had made them a national joke.
However, it is a case of how they are made and what audience they can appeal to makes them survive. Coronation St will keep going as long as its Northern female and gay audience keep watching and Hollyoaks, for all it has a fifth of the audence, has found itself a niche audience with the 18-25s and its calendars sell well to young men. Yet none of these shows are invincible and falling ratings over the years could see them go or get moved to daytime as is largely the case in America.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:I watched Eldorado from start to finish twice, felt I had to come clean after all this time, the shame

Twice!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey Martyn at least you don't have to confess on your deathbed now!!

I'm not that embarrassed to admit that I watched a few episodes of Albion market!! - OK OK OK ..... I didn'ttake much notice of the storyline or acting. I just fancied one of the characters. She was HOT HOT HOT!!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Return to Soaps