Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

A Country Practice

A fly on the wall observing the fictional escapes of the soap world.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

This was long a staple fixture in ITV regions well into the nineties, but all I seem to recall about it as some instrumental sweet music at the start and a policeman driving a koala bear about and catching one episode about a snake killing someone( as happens in the outback). Obviously it was cheap schedule filler, and not a BAFTA award winner, but did any of you Smeggers watch it in its day as it seemed to run for aeons on Border and Tyne Tees?
Of the Aussie stuff, I loved Cell Block H and always hated Neighbours.

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

Yes I remember a Country Practice - lots of re-cycled Aussie actors .

It was a great show. The characters I remember in particular were Molly and Brendan.

Good afternoon tv. According to Wiki its available on Region4 DVD

oohh, now I see the image - its all coming flooding back - Frank and Shirley GIlroy, Esme - but I cant remember the characters name of the doctor in the bottom right - and he was great. Is that Dr Terence Elliot? And now I also remember Simon and Vicky.

haha! old memories! :)

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

I remember this! Reminds me of being off sick from school and staying in my pyjamas all day watching daytime TV.

I loved the music to this, found the opening credits on YouTube, oddly enough from my local ITV station too.

Used to like the music to the Young Doctors too. Can't find a clip so will improvise:

Diddle iddle er, der der diddle iddle er,
der der der, der der der, der der der, dum dum dum,
Diddle iddle er, der der ......etc.

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Tired but happy

Posted on

Crikey, I dont remember Nicholas Bufalo - I think i"ll need to watch that again for another look at him!

Great tune, makes me smile. :D

:thumb:

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

It never had the mass appeal of Neighbours, but it seemed to be a 2.30 regular on Border for 15 years. There was actually a couple of complaints in the local rag when it finished, but seemingly the Australians tired of it and it was cancelled in 1995. My relatives in Perth, when I was over there 2 years ago, said it was medical, cop, vet drama rolled into one, but its cheap production values and sometimes melodramatic acting started to get people's backs up in the nineties and it led to some kind of anti-soap backlash. Nowadays, apart from Home and Away, there are no peak time soapies in Aus.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

It did have a rather kitsch quality - whether that was intentional, I don't know!

The Australians seem to have been very good at that type of show. It always seemd very gentle and easy viewing, although the wiki article talks about it being edgy, and hard hitting story lines...cant really remember those ones. Didnt someone have a pet wombat?

MILF

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:The them tine always used to make me sad!

Hello, Scott, I've escaped from the POV boards and joined up, as you asked me to do. I do recall the theme music being the sort of thing that Radio 2 in that period would have loved, as it was some syrupy instrumental.
As for it being edgy, well, all I can recall is someone being killed by a snake, which isn't unknown in rural Australia. I suppose it was one of those programmes that was cheap and kept the daytime viewer entertained, if they wanted that kind of thing. I recall being out of work in its heyday and tending to go out of the house, but there were devotees among the unemployed and the elderly who liked it and there was a stroppy letter in the local evening paper when it was cancelled AIRC.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

The theme music was written by Mike Perjanik

I don't care how you look at me
Because I'm the one that you will see
We can make it work
We can make it right
Just give me half a minute & I'll tell you why
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

I remember that series................. but it was such a long time ago in my mind. :o

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

Jericho wrote:I remember that series................. but it was such a long time ago in my mind. :o

Jericho
It seemed to run for years on Border, unless the same episodes were repeated. I believe it was scrapped in Australia in 1995 as part of a big backlash against soaps and Border showed the last episodes in 1997. There was a letter of complaint in the local paper when it was cancelled, though Border said it had come to the end of its life in Australia and ITV was moving away from Aussie soaps in daytime.
However, for all it was embarassingly cheap, it did have a following among elderly and unemployed viewers and the Austrralians liked it enough for it to run for 15 years.

Really Loves the Place!

Return to Soaps