Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Corrie to axe old characters!

A fly on the wall observing the fictional escapes of the soap world.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I wish they'd get rid of Betty Turdpin.

Poor old Jack Duckworth had just lost Vera and all she could say was some sentiment that was like " Aww never mind. have a cup of tea."

Silly old bag :D :D :D

They should at least give her a decent storyline. She's well over 80 and even her infmaous hot-pots aren't mentioned any more.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Wish they'd axe that bloody theme tune, it's like a dirge, though come to think of it the programme is like a dirge as well. It's badly acted old tripe that sadly is popular in the North, where I live.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:I have heard rumours that Emily Bishop is to be killed off on Christmas Day with Corrie's most ever shocking storyline! :eek4:

. . . . . . .

Good riddance, I say! Corrie has too many old codgers who do naff all. Emily Bishop, for example, is about as exciting as Monday mornings.

Since I've been living with mother I've seen a few episodes for the first time in many years.

Think I stopped watching when they had Roy going round with a woman, pretending to be a man who had had a sex change to a woman. Whatever happened to him/her - not seen that character yet. Plus they brought in the Battersbys and put it on more times a week. The changes they made then lost me as a viewer.

The average viewer is probably aged 50 to 90. I'm sure they'd lose out if they changed the cast too much.

Emily killed off on Xmas day - that's planning a bit too far ahead I think. :):

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:I am a massive EastEnders fan. People say that the soap is boring and depressing. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. EastEnders has tackled some fantastic social and real-life issues over the years.

Whenever I see Corrie, all I see is the same old faces supping lager and drinks in the Rovers. Characters such as Ken Barlow, Emily Bishop and Betty Williams should have been axed decades ago. They do absolutely nothing and are simply boring.

What is so great about Ken Barlow? Just because he's the only character whose been in the soap since day one, that does not make him the leader of the pack. He is one of the reasons why Corrie reminds me of a geriatric soap opera.

Scott, mate, Eastenders at its peak always wiped the floor with Clothcap St, as it was sometimes nicknamed, because unlike Coronation St and its tedious plots about missing cats, EE was just right for its time with its mixture of yuppies, wide boys, crims and immigrants. Certainly a character like Nick Cotton was always bound to be far more interesting to younger viewers than Percy Sugden. When I was younger, Eastenders was the hip and happening soap, as was dear dear Brookie, and Coronation St was for old people who played bingo and voted Labour.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

diablo wrote:Think I stopped watching when they had Roy going round with a woman, pretending to be a man who had had a sex change to a woman. Whatever happened to him/her - not seen that character yet.

Hayley has gone to Africa to do charity work.

Posted on

I would think a typical Coronation St viewer is Northern, female, middle aged, watches ITV more than any other broadcaster, plays bingo. It's not a show that has much appeal to men,kids, middle class viewers, or Southerners. A lot of people I know who watch it tend to be women aged over 40, although because they grew up with it quite a lot of young women watch it where I live. When I was down South last year, almost no one watched it: EE and Hollyoaks were far more popular.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:I cannot tell the difference between Emmerdale and Corrie. Both soaps are the same as far as I am concerned, apart from that one is based in the Yorkshire countryside and the other is based in Manchester.

They ought to merge both soaps together to create Coronation Dale!

Emmernation St LOL.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Update on this, http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a9444 ... -chop.html

Coronation Street boss Kim Crowther will not fire the soap's veteran stars, The Mirror reports.

Tabloid rumours earlier in the month suggested that Crowther was looking to axe five long-serving cast members by the end of the year.

However, the producer reportedly set up meetings with each member of the cast to discuss storylines and reassure them about their future.

A soap insider said: "There have been rumours that the older stars may be in line for the chop. But that couldn't be further from the truth.

"Kim is steeped in the history of the Street and believes the old-guard artists are crucial to the show.

"She believes the likes of Bill Roache (Ken Barlow) Barbara Knox (Rita Sullivan) and Eileen Derbyshire (Emily Bishop) are firm favourites with the viewers."

However :- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a9470 ... -axed.html

Coronation Street bosses have axed seven characters from the soap.

The Morton clan - Kebab shop boss Jerry (Michael Starke) and children Mel (Emma Edmonson), Darryl (Johnny Dixon), Kayleigh (Jessica Bardon) and Finlay (Ramone Quinn) - will leave later this year after joining the cast last March.

Jack Ellis and Matthew Compton, who have played father and son bookies Harry and Dan Mason since December, will also bow out in the autumn.

A source told The Sun: “The producers had a big forward planning meeting this week and have decided to axe a number of characters. Most of the actors were called in at lunchtime and told - they are gutted.”

Ian Reddington, who plays Liz McDonald’s new husband Vernon Tomlin, will also make his exit in September.

Show boss Kim Crowther said: “Coronation Street has always had a tradition of characters who come in to play out storylines beside established characters before moving on.

“As in any community there are people who live there for years and people who pass through. We still have some interesting storylines to play with these characters. They are all very talented actors and we wish them well.”

Reports that Crowther was was looking to axe five long-serving cast members were recently denied.

In short we've got a cast of older actors drawing top wages but doing what basically amounts to walk on parts, and younger actors who are rammed down our throats for 18 months or so then dumped because the character has "ran out of steam" or some such excuse.

I haven't got a problem with the older actors, I just wish they'd use them a bit more.

Onwards and Upwards

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Scrap Norris! Never! We must organise the save Norris campaign immediately. It will be Roy next if this Stalinist thug gets away with purging Norris. :mad:

Posted on

diablo wrote:
Scott Nelson wrote:I have heard rumours that Emily Bishop is to be killed off on Christmas Day with Corrie's most ever shocking storyline! :eek4:

. . . . . . .

Good riddance, I say! Corrie has too many old codgers who do naff all. Emily Bishop, for example, is about as exciting as Monday mornings.

Since I've been living with mother I've seen a few episodes for the first time in many years.

Think I stopped watching when they had Roy going round with a woman, pretending to be a man who had had a sex change to a woman. Whatever happened to him/her - not seen that character yet.....

That's Hayley, that used to be Harold and is played by actress Julie Hesmond-Unpronounceable-Bit

She's apparenly in Africa. I'm not sure what the real life excuse is.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Norris is a sad old twat. Roy, on the otherhand, is a moron. A right pair of dullards!

Dullards are good, they make us neo-dullards feel good about ourselves. :)

Return to Soaps