Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Desperate Housewives

A fly on the wall observing the fictional escapes of the soap world.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I am a real addict to this soap. :oops: I have never been interested in soaps before but this one has me hooked. :elephant:

Anyone else in there with me? :confused:

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

Yeah I've been a bit of a Desperate Housewives Fan. It's a bit too "American" if you know what I mean, but the MILF factor makes for decent viewing.

here is Wysteria Lane in Universal City (Universal Studios Complex), Burbank, CA

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Smeggy: I know what you mean about the 'too American'. I feel like that about their political rallies, when some hopeful president comes out with all the bally-hoo " Fellow Americans" and "Gard bless America" :vomit:

But this daily life I kinda like, as it is humerous and does give insight into the foibles of women.. as I don't think these women differ greatly to us. I know of many examples of each of them!!

They DO have soopa houses and surroundings and a much more affluent lifestyle..,well the middle class types do!!

Corrie and E/E are too "kitchen sink" for me and I find them a tad depressing.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Joe's Girl wrote:Smeggy: I know what you mean about the 'too American'. I feel like that about their political rallies, when some hopeful president comes out with all the bally-hoo " Fellow Americans" and "Gard bless America" :vomit:

But this daily life I kinda like, as it is humerous and does give insight into the foibles of women.. as I don't think these women differ greatly to us. I know of many examples of each of them!!

That's why the show is so popular. It's a bit like the spice girls in that all the women are different and in some way are identifiable. We all know someone like at least 2 of these women.

They DO have soopa houses and surroundings and a much more affluent lifestyle..

.. and the added bonus of the aspirational factor of the affluence which allows most of us to dream for 50 minutes. :)

,well the middle class types do!!
Corrie and E/E are too "kitchen sink" for me and I find them a tad depressing.

I know what you mean. Although Corrie and EE are almost a sitcom these days. They makes me laugh. :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I fancy Brie. She is very sexy once you disturb that stuffy 'perfect' exterior.

<--- I often talk to god about my Dyslexia, he just barks and wags his tail. --->

Hooked
Current Mood: double helixed

Posted on

AI wrote:I fancy Brie. She is very sexy once you disturb that stuffy 'perfect' exterior.

I kinda see what you mean. I hated her, as you're supposed to I guess, at first but then started what I call 'black attraction' ( bit like black comedy )

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I've never watched it... because I got put off by all the hype and the publicity shots of the perfect bodies and immaculate hair. It didnt say Desperate Housewives to me, it said Male Fantasy Housewives - even the woman at the beginning who was supposed to be losing it because she had some children (!) still looked fab, and I couldnt be arsed even trying to identify with her. ( sorry to be negative, I know its popular!)

Does anyone remember the show Thirtysomething? I was kind of not where that programme was at when it first aired, but loads of people loved it and identified with it - (vereryone at work would be talking about it the next day) - It was very well characterised and had some reality to it - but nice lifestyles too...

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:I've never watched it... because I got put off by all the hype and the publicity shots of the perfect bodies and immaculate hair. It didnt say Desperate Housewives to me, it said Male Fantasy Housewives - even the woman at the beginning who was supposed to be losing it because she had some children (!) still looked fab, and I couldnt be arsed even trying to identify with her. ( sorry to be negative, I know its popular!)

Interesting observation. Maybe it's because you haven't watched it, or maybe because I'm not typical, but I've never once thought of any of them being perfect fantasy marriage material. Of course they're all fit enough for fun sex, even better if they all turn up at once :thumb: and would make cool fuck buddies, but Fantasy Housewives? Nah :)

Does anyone remember the show Thirtysomething? I was kind of not where that programme was at when it first aired, but loads of people loved it and identified with it - (vereryone at work would be talking about it the next day) - It was very well characterised and had some reality to it - but nice lifestyles too...

it rings a bell.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:I've never watched it... because I got put off by all the hype and the publicity shots of the perfect bodies and immaculate hair. It didnt say Desperate Housewives to me, it said Male Fantasy Housewives - even the woman at the beginning who was supposed to be losing it because she had some children (!) still looked fab, and I couldnt be arsed even trying to identify with her. ( sorry to be negative, I know its popular!)

I agree DH are a bit glam by our standards, but as a Northerner, born within shouting distance of Coronation street, I was pissed off with home counties types thinking we all acted and lived like the inhabitants of Corrie. :mad1: I mean.. that Ken Barlow as a teacher would live in a ramshackle place like Corrie is asking us - well me at any rate - to suspend disbelief a bit too far!! :eek:

I don't think Corrie is like a lot of Nor-Westerners either. Maybe all soaps are caricatures of what there is out there and it is done to add summat to the show. :chin:

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

you're right Smeggy, maybe its because I havent watched it. Normally I wouldn't presume to comment on something I've not seen - I suppose I was trying to say why I'd been put off it...

Don't know much about Coronation Street either, except I always understood it was set in a sort of Fantasy 1950's of community and family - not really a modern northern reality. You know - character driven, not storyline driven (like Eastenders is)

Well these programmes must be doing something right, as they are so hugely popular.

I always loved Home and Away. The sun and the beaches and the easily resolved conflicts and pretty school uniforms... oh if only life was like that! :)

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Home and Away - Marylin! - Say no more!!!!!!!!

<--- I often talk to god about my Dyslexia, he just barks and wags his tail. --->

Hooked
Current Mood: double helixed

Posted on

AI wrote:Home and Away - Marylin! - Say no more!!!!!!!!

The ORBS!!!!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:you're right Smeggy, maybe its because I havent watched it. Normally I wouldn't presume to comment on something I've not seen - I suppose I was trying to say why I'd been put off it...

Don't know much about Coronation Street either, except I always understood it was set in a sort of Fantasy 1950's of community and family - not really a modern northern reality. You know - character driven, not storyline driven (like Eastenders is)

Well these programmes must be doing something right, as they are so hugely popular.I always loved Home and Away. The sun and the beaches and the easily resolved conflicts and pretty school uniforms... oh if only life was like that! :)

I am such a cynic about the kitchen sink dramas, I suspect they enable people to feel superior to the gobbins that these characters are. ;) :pp:

Me ? I like escapism: which is probably why I loved the Hollywood musical extravaganzas. After the war and rationing it was a treat to see luxury and opulence, when things that are taken for granted today were then almost non-existent.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Joe's Girl wrote:
Whirliegig wrote:you're right Smeggy, maybe its because I havent watched it. Normally I wouldn't presume to comment on something I've not seen - I suppose I was trying to say why I'd been put off it...

Well these programmes must be doing something right, as they are so hugely popular.I always loved Home and Away. The sun and the beaches and the easily resolved conflicts and pretty school uniforms... oh if only life was like that! :)

I am such a cynic about the kitchen sink dramas, I suspect they enable people to feel superior to the gobbins that these characters are. ;) :pp:

That's why insecure people like Trisha/Jeremy Kyle/Jerry Springer/<anything else that let's chavs out the zoo for an afternoon> ;)

Me ? I like escapism: which is probably why I loved the Hollywood musical extravaganzas. After the war and rationing it was a treat to see luxury and opulence, when things that are taken for granted today were then almost non-existent.

Yeah nothing wrong with escapism. :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Return to Soaps