Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

[video] Adam Curtis - The Trap: Fuck You Buddy!

Political Videos for your viewing pleasure

Moderator:

Forum rules
Please add [Video] to the title of video threads. :)

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

[video] The Trap: Fuck You Buddy! - Adam Curtis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trap_(television_documentary_series)

Episode 1 - Fuck You Buddy!

This is another brilliant Adam Curtis documentary originally produced for the BBC. It talks about the modern political realities, where the policies came from and the massive failures of those ideals and how they have ended up exactly where they did not want to be. This episode starts in the Cold War and shows the seeds that were sown to produce the modern political reality. adam curtis, documentary, islam, politics, usa, uk, freedom, liberty

Episode 2 - The Lonely Robot

This is another brilliant Adam Curtis documentary originally produced for the BBC. It talks about the modern political realities, where the policies came from and the massive failures of those ideals and how they have ended up exactly where they did not want to be. This episode focuses on the 1990's and how the politicians decided to apply the model of a free market economy to the rest of society and consequences of these actions being felt all over the world in wesetern democracy's. Adam Curtis, Politics, Islam, UK, USA, freedom, liberty, law, documentary

Episode 3 - We Will Force You To Be Free

The final programme focussed on the concepts of positive and negative liberty introduced in the 1950s by Isaiah Berlin. Curtis briefly explained how negative liberty could be defined as freedom from coercion and positive liberty as the opportunity to strive to fulfill one's potential. Tony Blair had read Berlin's essays on the topic and wrote to him[5] in the late 1990s, arguing that positive and negative liberty could be mutually compatible. He never received a reply, as Berlin was on his death bed.

The programme began with a description of the Two Concepts of Liberty, reviewing Berlin's opinion that, since it lacked coercion, negative liberty was the 'safer' of the two. Curtis then explained how many political groups who sought their vision of freedom ended up using violence to achieve it.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Just finished watching the first episode. Fascinating study into the Game TheoryWiki and throeis on how people's selfishness is best for preventing chaos. There's an interesting section on the broad range of 'new' personaloty types and how psychiatrists in America were shown to be pretty useless by the 'Thud Experiment' ( Rosenhan experimentWiki )

I'm going to watch episode two right now!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I have to say this is a fascinating Documentary. Quite different from the usual too. And in the superb Adam Curtis style of presentation which is of the utmost clarity!! Highly Recommended. I shall watch it again in a week or two. I watched the Power of Nightmares more than once too.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Sounds great Smeggy, haven't heard of this before, I'm downloading episode one right now, gonna watch it later. :thumb:

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

Just finished watching all 3 episodes, very well done by Adam Curtis once again. Makes you wonder what "Freedom" really is, and what people mean when they say they want it.

The video's actually tie in very closely with the book I've just finished (Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein) especially in the third episode that discusses "Shock Therapy" and it's use in Iraq.

I will need to watch them again, because there's just so much information to take in.

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

ghostgirl wrote:Just finished watching all 3 episodes, very well done by Adam Curtis once again. Makes you wonder what "Freedom" really is, and what people mean when they say they want it.

The video's actually tie in very closely with the book I've just finished (Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein) especially in the third episode that discusses "Shock Therapy" and it's use in Iraq.

I will need to watch them again, because there's just so much information to take in.

yeh same here GG its been about 18 months for me .......so much to digest .... :thumb:

my favorite was Century of the Self ...just brilliant :clap:

Posted on

The concept of Freedom is an interesting one. The freedom FROM poverty and lack or, the freedom TO have the job you want, adopt the lifestyle choices you want to adopt, or, in the Thatcher years the freedom to buy your own council house. These freedoms have been adopted by the west without the responsiblities which should accompany them, but then at least we have some attempt at balancing the two; in many states there are no signs of any freedoms at all.

Getting into it now!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Political Videos