Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Injury Lawyers 4 U

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Forum rules
No Rules. Just try not to burst any bloodvessels!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Out of principal I wouldn't use a firm who had '4 U' in its title. :x

I was rather disheartened to see Billy Murray in the newest ads; how could he sink so low? :( From DS Beech to this?! :cry:

I quite like this...

:D

It could be worse though; we could get ads like this...

:rofl:

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

No Chance wrote:Out of principal I wouldn't use a firm who had '4 U' in its title. :x

Same Here!

The same with any firm with 'direct' in it's title'

and definitely not any unethical bastards who call themselves a 'helpline' in order to mislead people.

Personal Injury Helpline :mad:
National Accident Helpline :mad:

I'm in two minds whether anyone stupid enough to be fooled by it deserves all they get or that such a misleading practise shoudl be made illegal to protect the stupid.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I'm in two minds whether anyone stupid enough to be fooled by it deserves all they get or that such a misleading practise shoudl be made illegal to protect the stupid.

I know; the practices these firms use is disgusting. :x Have you seen this story? It's a but old now, but still angers me when I read it. :x From the BBC...

The BBC wrote:Ambulance-chasing "claims farmers" who sign people up to compensation cases which leave them deep in debt

The Law Society is failing to discipline all bad solicitors
are facing a government ban on their activities.

The Constitutional Affairs Minister, David Lammy, said he had given the operatives, who cold-call householders in deprived areas or tout for cases in shopping centres, a final chance to clean up their act.

Describing the activities of the firms as "appalling," the minister accused them of bringing solicitors into disrepute and called on the Law Society to help bring them into line.

He was responding to a File on 4 investigation for BBC Radio 4, which has revealed that hundreds of people living on income support or disability benefits have been signed up for housing cases which have left them with debts of up to £2,500.

File on 4 website
The revelation comes in the wake of high-profile collapses of personal injury companies such as The Accident Group, whose 2,500 staff were sacked by text message, and The Life Repair Group, which went into administration last year.

The programme's reporters discovered a firm named CMS Investigations had been knocking on doors in South Wales, the Midlands and Northumberland, advising tenants they might have a compensation case against their local authority or housing association.

The firm then passed on blocks of cases to various solicitors who, it said, paid it a fee for the work.

Among those who signed up were John and Lesley Pace of Pencoed, whose 50 year-old prefabricated home was damp and draughty.

For years the Paces had lived with condensation which turned to ice on the insides of their windows each winter.

I'd love them [CMS] to come here and knock again. They'd be out through the gate before their feet could touch the ground.
Lesley Pace
CMS told them they could get their overdue repairs done, win compensation from Bridgend County Borough Council and still have nothing to pay.

But first they were asked to take out an insurance policy to cover them for legal costs in case they should lose. They were told the initial cost would be £519, for which they were given a loan by the First National bank.

Interest charges

The Paces won their case and were awarded £1,000 in compensation last February.

So they were shocked to receive a loan statement a few weeks ago informing them that even after the award had been credited to their account they owed a total of £1,481.86.

As well as monthly interest payments, hundreds of pounds had been added for other charges including a survey report and a "risk assessment."

"There's no way I'm paying," Mrs Pace said. "I'd rather go to prison.

"I can't afford to pay because my husband is on long-term sick benefit."

"I'd love them [CMS] to come here and knock again. They'd be out through the gate before their feet could touch the ground."

£165-an-hour

Although the Paces and other tenants were awarded compensation, Bridgend council challenged the costs in the case on the grounds that they were disproportionate.

The judge, who revealed solicitors' fees of up to £165 per hour had pushed the Paces' total costs up to £8,697, agreed.

Because the claimants won their cases, their insurance did not pay out. Because the judge did not award full costs, the council did not have to pay and so the debt remained.

Both CMS and the solicitors to whom it passed the case, PD Associates of Liverpool, had failed the tenants, the judge said.

I think it is absolutely appalling. We don't want to see these people continuing to bring solicitors into bad repute.

The solicitors should have known their clients were eligible for legal aid, and also that the costs they were claiming were improper.

The judgement, to which an appeal has now been lodged, was based on 11 test cases out of more than 200 in the Bridgend area alone.

All those 11 tenants were awarded compensation and all but one nonetheless ended up in debt. One of them, Nicola Bowen, owed £2,361 plus two years' interest at 13.9 %.

Ironically, the repairs were done because the council handed its entire stock to a new housing association which was then able to raise funding to upgrade decaying properties.

File on 4 has learned of similar cases involving other solicitors in several Welsh council areas, as well as in Burton-upon-Trent in Staffordshire and in Blyth Valley, Northumberland.

Mr Lammy said a new organisation called the Claims Standards Federation had been set up to represent the industry and had been given a chance to "clean up its act."

But the former Deputy Governor of the Bank of England, Sir David Clementi, was conducting a wide-ranging review of legal regulation which would consider whether further action was needed, he added.

Legislation

"I think it is absolutely appalling. We don't want to see these people continuing to bring solicitors into bad repute," he said.

"Their aggressive ways are to some extent reminiscent of the ambulance chasers in the United States. One of the options open to the government would be to act in legislation to ban or end this situation."

First National bank said it was considering the debts on a case-by-case basis.

Neither PD Associates nor CMS Investigations responded to requests for their comments on the case and on their business practices.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Disgusting. :x

I genuinely hate the way we have come to live in an extremely litigious society. People now will sue for the slightest thing and it's often their first thought whenever something even remotely, slightly bad befalls them. It's like the pound signs light up in their eyes. :x

This is just staggering; again, from the BBC

The BBC wrote:Clearing snow 'can get you sued'

Clearing snow from pavements outside your home could make you liable to legal action if somebody slips on ice, the government has said.

But if householders leave the snow, the council is liable, Lord Davies of Oldham, for ministers, told Tory Lord Burnham at question time.

Claims against householders were "few and far between," he added.

But Tory Baroness Carnegy of Lour called for a law change, to encourage people to "do their bit".

Labour ex-minister Lord Dubs added: "Something I have done for years every time there has been snow is leaving me liable to legal action."

Lord Davies said: "No householder is at all responsible, providing they do not touch the pavement, which is owned by the local authority."

If people completely and utterly and totally clear away all snow and return the pavement to the situation it was in before the snow landed, they have done an excellent job
Lord Davies of Oldham

But he added: "The moment they address the issue of the pavement with a view to improving things, which may lead to a deterioration, it may be their action that makes them culpable."

"If people completely and utterly and totally clear away all snow and return the pavement to the situation it was in before the snow landed, they have done an excellent job.

"If it is done in a less than complete manner and leaves ice, which is more dangerous than the original covering of snow, it may not necessarily be the local authority that is responsible but the householder for having dealt with the pavement."

If the exchanges led to fewer people clearing snow, Lord Davies added, "that would be a great pity and I would have acted to the detriment of the nation".

Amazing. I remember hearing about this when it was being debated at the time. :x

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

The world is already mad!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:The world is already mad!!!

I know. :x It seems to get madder with every passing day though. :x

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

Sorry, just found this slightly ironic:

T'was at the bottom of this thread :pp:

I personally hate ads and companies like these, that just set out to exploit the vulnerable and gullible while also trying to make a quick buck. And it's made this society have a kinda 'sue-culture' now. :nono:

Image I smile cos I have no idea what's going on. :)
Warning: Is liable to talk a load of s*** at any time of day. Approach with caution. Image

Hooked
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I remember once ... I'd ripped a finger nail and had it bandaged up. I went into the city center to do some shopping and a girl literally LEAPT out of a tent in the middle of town asking me what was wrong with my hand. I asked her why she was asking and she told me that IF it'd been an accident then maybe I could get compo.

I mean REALLY .... accosting people in the bloody STREET :eek:

MADNESS :banghead:

Posted on

Misha wrote:Sorry, just found this slightly ironic:

T'was at the bottom of this thread :pp:

I personally hate ads and companies like these, that just set out to exploit the vulnerable and gullible while also trying to make a quick buck. And it's made this society have a kinda 'sue-culture' now. :nono:

I wonder if there's a way to filter certain ads from the google feed? i think so- I'll have a look. I think the ads are tailored to the content of the page so if we talk about theese companies and slag them off the google software isn't intelligent enough to recognise that. :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I think the ads are tailored to the content of the page so if we talk about theese companies and slag them off the google software isn't intelligent enough to recognise that. :)

On the forum I used to work at we had a bit of a bet about something with a member there; (just a bit of fun, nothing serious) and he lost. His challenge was to eat his hat. For days in one thread a few of us talked almost constantly about hats; at one point, the targeted Google ads were advertising deals on sombreros, pork pie hats, bowler hats and goodness knows what else. Needless to say, he wasn't impressed! :D

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

hehe :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:The world is already mad!!!

Meanwhile, in Lammyland......

https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2018 ... ears-jail/

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

absurd!!!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Adverts!