Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Tesco to use Face Scanners

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Forum rules
No Rules. Just try not to burst any bloodvessels!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Tesco to use Face Scanners to blitz us with adverts as we queue to pay

Devices will be rolled out at supermarket's petrol stations
Drivers' ages captured to allow hi-tech screens to display suitable adverts
OptimEyes scanners developed by Lord Sugar's company Amscreen

I've hated adverts for so long I've developed a mindset that subconsciously averts me from buying the products advertised!! So bring it on Tesco! :hyenas:

***********************************************************************************************

Buying petrol used to be a simple process of filling up your tank, paying the cashier and driving away.

But it is set to become the latest shopping experience to bombard customers with a marketing ploy – by scanning their faces.

Tesco is to use facial recognition technology to target advertising to each customer queuing at their tills.

Random picture of tesco garage

:bugs: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2486895/Tesco-start-using-Minority-Report-style-face-scanners-blitz-adverts-queue-pay.html#comments

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I read about this elsewhere, not got round to the gutter press yet. :): I quite often use Tesco to fill up, 'coz they do 5p off per litre,

"It opens up the possibility for the retailer to run tailored adverts, for example by promoting women’s magazines if it detects women in the queue, or coffee for the morning rush. Tesco and the company, who have signed a five-year deal, estimate the “OptimEyes” system, which will run ads up to 10 seconds on a 100-second loop, could reach up to five million people. "

I wonder what they'd offer an oldish guy with longish hair based on my looks ? At 8pm at night?

A four pack of lager? Nah I don't drink lager and I already bought proper beer in the store, thank you v. much.

Some petrol station flowers as a sorry to the wife for working late? Neither would apply.

Twenty cigarettes, since it has decided I smoke because of my gnarled and wrinkled hands? Illegal to offer those.

I had thought that the new MD of Tesco was doing some reasonable stuff so far - but I think he's gone nuts this time. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:I read about this elsewhere, not got round to the gutter press yet. :): I quite often use Tesco to fill up, 'coz they do 5p off per litre,

"It opens up the possibility for the retailer to run tailored adverts, for example by promoting women’s magazines if it detects women in the queue, or coffee for the morning rush. Tesco and the company, who have signed a five-year deal, estimate the “OptimEyes” system, which will run ads up to 10 seconds on a 100-second loop, could reach up to five million people. "

I wonder what they'd offer an oldish guy with longish hair based on my looks ? At 8pm at night?

A four pack of lager? Nah I don't drink lager and I already bought proper beer in the store, thank you v. much.

Some petrol station flowers as a sorry to the wife for working late? Neither would apply.

Twenty cigarettes, since it has decided I smoke because of my gnarled and wrinkled hands? Illegal to offer those.

I had thought that the new MD of Tesco was doing some reasonable stuff so far - but I think he's gone nuts this time. :)

A young Russian bride? BOGOFF offer, Tesco Value Version? :D - probably what they'd try to sell to me. Although after matching me up with the Tesco receipt from the store earlier and seeing about 20 items all for 10p or 75% to 90$ off in the bargains section, the machine will probably start sparking and smoking and explode with charred springs, wires, connectors and variosu active and passive components poking out of it. :hyenas:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

The best petrol stations are the pay at the pump ones, where there's no need to queue for a cashier. All filing stations should be pay at the pump imo.

Saying that it probably wouldn't be good for business. They make fuck all on the fuel, so are relying on customers picking up a can of drink, chocolate, fags etc etc.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Tesco BOGOF Russin brides? Make sure your rear suspension is good if you put them in the back seat on the way home. I've heard they don't always look like they do on the website and may turn out to be 20 years older and 15 stone heavier. :eek4: :D

I suppose they will re-jig the ads once you've inserted your Clubcard (at the petrol station I mean, not into new BOGOF wives), so as I quite often go there purely for booze they might offer Alka-Seltzer ?

Once you have picked up ten Russian wives I suppose ads for Tesco property or divorce services may appear?

Seems a silly idea to me. I'm only at the till for about thirty seconds and I'm pissing about with cards and vouchers plus entering PIN, no time to look at screens really.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

diablo wrote:Tesco BOGOF Russin brides? Make sure your rear suspension is good if you put them in the back seat on the way home. I've heard they don't always look like they do on the website and may turn out to be 20 years older and 15 stone heavier. :eek4: :D

I suppose they will re-jig the ads once you've inserted your Clubcard (at the petrol station I mean, not into new BOGOF wives), so as I quite often go there purely for booze they might offer Alka-Seltzer ?

Once you have picked up ten Russian wives I suppose ads for Tesco property or divorce services may appear?

Seems a silly idea to me. I'm only at the till for about thirty seconds and I'm pissing about with cards and vouchers plus entering PIN, no time to look at screens really.

I remember Tesco put adverts on the back of the till rolls a few years ago. That didn't last long. The current thing is adverts on the trolleys themselves. I never look at them. I doubt that will last long either.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I don't drive, however I will put in my tuppence worth. I often boycott products on the basis that I hate their adverts. For example (even if DFS sofas were of quality) I wouldn't buy them or (even if 118 118 directory enquiries were cheap) I wouldn't use the service.

Fine Barman!

Posted on

I had 2 monthz in Vegas and had to pay inside garage prior to having the pump switched on for a exact cash amount

THERE ARE NONE SO BLIND AS THOSE WHO WILL NOT SEE.
LOOK AFTER OUR OWN FIRST

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Tetchy, Moving House

Posted on

Talking of garages, a local petrol station used to have a nag screen as part of the process of entering your ard pin number to pay for the petrol. It was a yes or no question and asked about your interest in products.I always used to refuse to answer and the staff had to mess about to cancel it. I notice after a while they'd removed it. I can't have been the only one who was annoyed by it. Shouldn't have to be forced to answer an advertising question so you can pay for your fuel

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Tesco to use Face Scanners to blitz us with adverts as we queue to pay

Devices will be rolled out at supermarket's petrol stations
Drivers' ages captured to allow hi-tech screens to display suitable adverts
OptimEyes scanners developed by Lord Sugar's company Amscreen

I've hated adverts for so long I've developed a mindset that subconsciously averts me from buying the products advertised!! So bring it on Tesco! :hyenas:

***********************************************************************************************

Buying petrol used to be a simple process of filling up your tank, paying the cashier and driving away.

But it is set to become the latest shopping experience to bombard customers with a marketing ploy – by scanning their faces.

Tesco is to use facial recognition technology to target advertising to each customer queuing at their tills.

Random picture of tesco garage

:bugs: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2486895/Tesco-start-using-Minority-Report-style-face-scanners-blitz-adverts-queue-pay.html#comments

I'm the same, advertise it and I won't buy it :rofl:

Though I shop exclusively online these days. Advertise all you like online, you'll be ignored :splif:

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

Adblock PLus :thumb:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Perhaps we should all go and buy petrol from Tescos wearing Hitler Masks

Mind you we'll probably get adverts for British Gas

:hyenas: :hyenas: :hyenas:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Adverts!