Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

yet another complaint about an innocent advert

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Forum rules
No Rules. Just try not to burst any bloodvessels!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7738274.stm

A Welsh community council has called foul on an advert showing England World Cup winner Sir Bobby Charlton walking a dog on playing fields.

Councillors at Y Ferwig near Cardigan in Ceredigion said the advert for drinking yogurt Actimel encouraged dog walking in areas used by children.

But the Advertising Standards Authority said it did not condone bad behaviour.

The clerk said councillors did not want the advert banned, but just wanted to raise awareness of fouling problems.

The advert shows the Manchester United legend, who is England's record goalscorer, with 49 from 106 appearances, taking a dog for a walk across a playing field.

He stops to retrieve a ball for a group of children who are playing football. He then takes aim and fires the ball back into the goal, showing that despite his advancing years, he is in good shape.

However, Y Ferwig councillors felt it was "irresponsible" to show him walking the dog on the playing field at all.

"It was an observation really, we wrote to the advertising standards because there is such a problem with dog fouling on playing fields," said council clerk Brian Gooch.

Sir Bobby Charlton from the Actimel advert
We wrote to the advertising standards because there is such a problem with dog fouling on playing fields
Brian Gooch, Y Ferwig community council

"We did not want the advert banned, but the first few minutes could be cut off so that the dog is not shown at all," he added.

Mr Gooch said there was a huge problem with dog fouling on playing fields, and people were quick to complain if a child fell into the mess.

'No dogs'

"We wanted to attract attention to the problem.

"There are only two dog wardens in the whole of Ceredigion and they put up 'no dogs' signs, but people don't take any notice.

"If someone spots a dog foul the owner will quickly get a bag out of their pocket, but if there is no-one around they will ignore it," he added.

Trevor Datson, external communications director at Danone UK - which produce Actimel - said the company "fully supports the Welsh residents in their endeavours to clean-up the habit of dog fouling in their parks and playing fields".

"Our advertisement for Actimel shows children enjoying a healthy outdoor pursuit, as well as Sir Bobby Charlton's continued fitness, and in no way condones irresponsible dog ownership," he said.

Mr Datson added that during filming, measures were taken to "ensure that the sanitation of the park, including the playing field, was well maintained".

"The dog's handler was also present at all times to ensure an appropriate clean-up operation."

A spokeswoman for the Advertising Standards Authority said an assessment was made of the advert as a whole and also individual elements such as the dog being walked near the pitch in case it "condoned bad behaviour".

The decision was however that there was no cause to take the matter further.

She added: "The Advertising Standards Authority is not investigating the recent ad for Actimel as, after careful consideration, we do not believe that the ad risks encouraging or condoning the practice of walking dogs on playing fields.

"The dog is incidental to the theme of this ad and is not shown encroaching upon the pitch where the children are playing football."

Getting pathetic now really!

Onwards and Upwards

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

And I suppose they wouldn't be complaining it was just Bobby Charlton, alone, hanging round kids play areas.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

*** moving to adverts **** :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I've noticed that a lot of this banning culture seems to be coming from Wales...

Like the word "Country" by Caerphilly Borough Council...

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

GIR wrote:And I suppose they wouldn't be complaining it was just Bobby Charlton, alone, hanging round kids play areas.

That's the next complaint isn't it. :roll:

And For fuck's sake!!!! Who are these complete morons complaining!!!??!! :mad: We're going to end up sanitizing and atrophying kids so much that when they reach the age of 18 they will just collapse and die due to being unable to function.

They'll have no social skills through being imprisoned and hidden away from the bogey men . No muscles due to zero exercise. No brain due it being atrophied through mind numbing corporate media and no immune system because it never developed.

Let kids eat a bit of shit. It'll make them healthier in the long run.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

And the next step after that is human cattle...

Are the visitors from "V: The mini series" here or something??

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

bobby is a responsible dog owner and scoops ...god these people really fuck me off :mad:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

This complaint sounds stupid again its scary to think that the PC Brigade is starting to get into Welsh Councils aswell I wonder what they will complain about next just to let you guys know not all of us in Wales are PC Worshipping Morons.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Posted on

Welsh_Guy wrote:This complaint sounds stupid again its scary to think that the PC Brigade is starting to get into Welsh Councils aswell I wonder what they will complain about next just to let you guys know not all of us in Wales are PC Worshipping Morons.

glad to hear wg :thumb:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Adverts!